What is you favorite snack at Disney? Well I have quite a few, but the croissant donut, better known as the cronut is very high on that list! I have recently stumbled across a simple homemade version that anyone can make at home, so I have to share with all of my fellow cronut lovers!
What you will need:
- Pillsbury Crescent Rolls – each tube will make 4 cronuts + holes
- Powdered sugar – 6 cups
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Cinnamon – 1 tbsp. (or heavier depending on your preference)
What to do:
- Open the tube of crescent rolls and spread out the dough. It is perforated into two half each of which will make 4 crescents. Separate into the two halves but do not separate further.
- Fold each half into thirds and use a rolling pin to roll flat. Take each piece of dough and repeat the process by folding into thirds again and rolling to the desired size and thickness.
- At this point you should have two pieces of dough that are rolled to approximately 6″ x 12″. From this cut two donut shapes using cups, bowls, etc from your home. Be sure to cut out the center as well, a medicine cup works well for this. With the left over dough, you can always cut more holes!!!
- Now you should have four cronuts and four or more holes. Time to cook. Heat your oil on high to medium/high before cooking. Place the cronuts in the oil and watch until they turn golden brown. Flip every 30 seconds or so to get an even fry. Remove an place on a paper towel to cool.
- Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk in a bowl and whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and cinnamon. Place each still warm cronut in the liquid icing, coating both sides. Then immediately move to the cinnamon/sugar bowl coating both sides.
- Repeat with all cronuts and holes.
- Voila! Homemade cronuts! Now eat and enjoy!!!
For more Disney Snack ideas, check out my Pinterest board: