This is how we pack for a cruise! Each person has one carry on size suitcase… want to see how we fit a weeks worth of clothes in, watch and see! The first cruise we went on we over packed tremendously! I had a casual outfit and a dinner outfit per person for seven days plus swimwear, multiple pairs of shoes, etc, etc, etc… We didn’t wear half of the clothes that were packed! So from our next cruise and moving forward, I made a new rule… Each person gets one carry on size suitcase and that is it! If it doesn’t fit then you don’t need it. I have whittled down our packing to the following per person:
- 5 pair of shorts – you really don’t get dirty or sweaty on the ship in clothes, so they can be worn more than once since they will only be worn for a few hours at a time – most time will be spent in swimwear, esp for the kids
- 7-9 shirts (mostly t-shirts or tanks but a couple of nicer shirts for the casual dinners – these take up so little space I pack a couple of extras)
- 1 full dress outfit including shoes (we only attend one formal night, but you can wear this outfit twice, again, you will only wear it for a few hours)
- 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of slip on canvas shoes, 1 pair of flip-flops or sandals
- 1 pair of PJs
- Underwear & socks
A few other items I recommend packing for the cabin:
- Plug strip – there are only TWO outlets in the entire cabin, you will need more plugs!
- Pop-up hamper
- Lanyards – this is great to keep your sail & sign card handy!
- Toiletries including: shampoo/conditioner (there is shampoo but not conditioner in the showers), deodorant, razors, etc… You know what you need
- Motion sickness medications or SeaBands
- Medications such as Motrin, Tylenol, Tums, etc… There is a medic on board but they will charge you for these
- And the most important thing you can pack is SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN!!! I cannot stress this enough!!! Nothing will ruin a vacation faster than a bad sunburn and the Caribbean sun can be brutal!
We hope this helps you prepare for your next trip! Happy Cruising!!!
If you have enjoyed this post, please share! Also, sign up for our emails so you have every new post delivered right to your inbox!